Pages

Tuesday, July 31, 2012

"Love Does"

I am in the middle of reading a book entitled "Love Does" by Bob Goff, per the recommendation of my new friend Grant that I met in Nepal. I am not one who usually thinks to go out and purchase a book that someone has said "oh you've really got to read this". But, Grant simply said "this book is magnificent", and explained a little bit of it to me. Upon arriving home, I found the book on a friend's bookshelf.

So, I borrowed it without asking, and here we are.

What? I figured if it was that magnificent, a little thievery and mischief was justified.

Anyways, it's very good. I recommend it. Highly. I am currently 143 pages into 224 sheets of its goodness. So unless it just really plummets towards a black hole in the next 80 pages, I would suggest that you either go out and purchase the tangible version, download it to those wonderful electronic book device things, ask around among your friends, or just conveniently invite yourself over to your friends houses and sneakily scan their shelves until you find it.

Goff writes on many topics prominent in today's Christianity, and it's been an interesting aid as I begin to wrestle with the differences between Christianity in the United States compared to essentially everywhere else.

His chapter "Hearing Aid" is one of my favorites so far.

"I think God passes me by a lot, and it serve sot show me the direction He's going. We don't always know where He's headed or what to expect along the way. But I think direction is the point, the part, and whole of it. He wants followers, not just onlookers or people taking notes. Plus, I think God knows that if I found out more than just the direction He was going, I'd probably try to beat Him there. And if He spoke to me with something audible, I'd probably mess it up and mishear Him." (p. 142) 

"I think God's hope and plan for us is pretty simple to figure out. For those who resonate with formulas, here it is: add your whole life, your loves, your passions, and your interests together with what God said He wants us to be about, and that's your answer." (p. 143) 

If you have a free couple of days, read it.

But be ready to wrestle through what it means to love, as a follower of Jesus Christ.




1 comment:

  1. This post makes me want to pick up that sample again. Especially the snippet you read us. LOVE IT.

    ReplyDelete